PSPLA PI Licence

Private Investigators are required to be licensed pursuant to the PSPLA Act.

It is important that when considering applying that operators or contractors obtain the correct licence for the manner in which they wish to operate. This sounds easy but NZIPI field calls from various persons enquiring if a licence holder is appropriately licensed. To assist we have prepared the attached chart that sets out the process and forms.

In effect there are three streams:

1. Obtaining an individual PI licence

Meaning the licence holder can seek clients and employ other licensed investigators or contractors. (if you are going be using a trading name other than your own name, you must first obtain approval to use that name – but you cannot operate using a limited liability company)

2. Obtaining a company licence

If business is being conducted using a Limited liability company as a vessel. (Every director must complete the necessary forms and every director performing PI work must also obtain a COA)

3. Obtaining a Certificate of Approval

if a person is only ever going to work for a licence holder as a contractor or staff member. (you cannot seek clients or do work other than for a licence holder)

What licence do you need?

Take the quiz to find out.